Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Sustainablity through Space


This Image by Ivana Franke "Full Empty Space" speaks alot to me in terms of sustainability. Empty Space? It really makes you wonder questions: Whats in there? How do you navigate the space? Intentionality versus intentionality. Maybe the question we all are missing is "how much space do we need. I would be willing to bet money based on the size of our living quarters that 70 percent or more of that space is waste. And all of that waste is a product of Architects and designers that contribute to the construction of colossal Hollywood homes, where maybe 1 or 2 people will live and only viably use less than 3 percent of that space. Now look around you and think globally how much energy and natural resources go into "empty" space. It's static possessions that control those space, and maybe it wouldn't be a long shot by saying our ego is too big.

Now back to UNCG, how do they help with space. Well, its simple, dorm rooms. Dorms rooms are sustainable in my opinion. We learn to make use of every inch in that space. I didn't realize it at first but after a while, I came back to my dorm room and felt cozy at home knowing I had everything I needed right in that's 20 sq ft. space. I could give almost 1000's of examples of spaces that conserve and contribute to sustainability. So next time you go home think about your space, and think about if it adds anything to your lifestyle, or is it merely you ego.

No comments: