Saturday, October 20, 2007

Pumpkin Portrait



I never thought that I would see the day when I start nailing metal plates to a n organic figure. At first I thought about carving individual pictures into the pumpkin, but then I realized the night of, that I didn't have enough time, or even the right tools to accomplish a task such as that. Instead I salvaged a few metal parts and tried to figure out with I could do with them. I turned the pumpkin over so that the top became one of the sides and it started to look like a face. Then I came up with the strange idea that nailing metal on the pumpkin would be a very interesting response to this project. So i figured I would stir up some confusion and go on and do it. The metal plates themselves signify a kind of solid foundation around this soft organic core. Its like bicentennial man with him being a robot on the outside but becoming human on the inside. I then sketched out different parts of my face and pinned them to the pumpkin which added to the fun. I thought maybe it would be cool that you could interact with the project like that of Mr. Potato head. At the end of it all I look back at it and think "what exactly was going on in my head when I did this, what was I thinking? I don't know but in comparison to all the other monoliths that were created I think this one suits me. Somehow stinking out like a sore thumb feels better than standing tall with the rest. I suppose that helps with its recognition.

No comments: